Monday, July 21, 2008

Jack Updates








Ok so since my last blog I almost had a heart attack.... You see- I have this great baby monitor in Jack's "Big Boy Crib"... My dear friend Jess has used the same kind with her kiddos and she loves it. It basically sits under the mattress and goes off if it does not detect movement after 20 seconds... I wish that it actually went off after 10 seconds but 20 seconds is the only option... Anyway- this is one of the main reasons I decided to put Jack sleeping in his own room vs in his pack in play in our room. I was getting up every hour to check his breathing and now I have the monitor so figured this was a better choice. (And it is).. Anyway- Jack sleeps swaddled and really can't move around too much but I worry sick that he will stop breathing or kick out of his swaddle (we use his kiddopatumus or the miracle blanket- both of which are very hard to get out of but he manages) and then it will be on his nose and he won't be able to breath. I know- Greg thinks I might be a little crazy.. :) So a few days ago I woke up at 5:00 in the morning to what I thought was my cell phone alarm going off. ( I set this still to check on Jack if he has not already gotten up.) In my half sleep moment I turned my ringer off and the alarm kept going off. Greg and I realized this was the monitor! I ran into his room and on the way I thought I lost my heart! My instinct was awful! I started shaking him in his crib. Now- I debated admitting this on my blog because I am not a bad mother and I did not shake him hard. I know you are never supposed to shake a baby and would never do this but I was completely out of it. I promise it was not hard and he was still laying down. Anyway- to my surprise he wouldn't wake up not because he was not breathing but he was dead asleep. We think maybe he had managed to scoot himself over too far that it couldn't pick up his breathing as well and went off. When I went in he was a little to the side. This same thing happened the next day and after I had a heart attack all over again I did notice he was again scooted to the side. I talked to Jess and she said this happened to her numerous times. She said it is still better to her to use it than to not and I totally agree! Wake me up 100 times with false alarms as long as you work!!!! So- another update is Jack slept from 10:30 until 4:30 this morning... That is 6 hours... I can live on that! Way exciting! He also was so good this past Friday night. I had 14 girls and 1 boy over for Keno and Greg was on "Daddy duty". Jack slept the whole time after his bottle and a little activity time. He was great for Daddy! My friend Sara with the Angel Baby Grace came over and brought Grace and Grace was so sad the whole time. Sara spent the evening upstairs with Greg and Jack trying to calm down Grace. I told her I was so excited to see she cries too! :) Grace is so cute though. She cries and smiles 1 second later. It melts your heart. I will take a picture of her next time. Ok- so Saturday night Greg and I had 2 couple friends over and I think we were expecting a little too much with Jack. He would not sleep and cried and cried. I spent most of the night upstairs although he did sleep 15 minutes while he let me eat my dinner! :) Oh well! He has really been so much better though. I think it is naps that make a difference but even though I know that sometimes he just won't sleep. Today we tried everything and just as he would sleep he would wake up so finally we went for a ride in the car and he was out. We went to Kohls and I bought him a few outfits and even tried on a shirt for myself. We also bought Daddy some items... He stayed asleep the whole time. I dressed him up in his swimsuit and hat to go and took pictures. I am posting them because he looked so cute! Oh- on Sunday we had a family outing to Birkdale to eat lunch and stop by Janie and Jack a clothing store. Jack fell asleep and didn't wake up until Greg and I were shopping for books for him. I fed him and we got home before he went crazy. When we got home he hung out with Greg and layed around with him. Greg also put on the "Snuggli" that Jess sent us and put Jack inside. I wish I had taken a picture of Greg walking around the house with it on! Greg loved it and so did Jack. (Although Greg said he felt silly just as silly as someone wearing a "fanny pack"). Jack went right to sleep. The things you do to get them to sleep huh!?!?! I never thought I would see the day Greg wore a "Snuggli"! LOL Ok- enough updates. These are probably boring to most of you! I only have 3 more weeks at home with him. I am going to miss him so much! I will update more later!

9 comments:

Erin said...

Cute little hat! Glad things are beginning to settle in for you.

Dixie said...

What a little cutie and a Great site! our little wiggle worm could get out of those swaddles you mentioned and we ended up using the one from Halo - sleepsack swaddle i think it is called. The wings make it very easy to use and come off when you don't need them and the zipper is really nice - i just found it to be really high quality. i am such a nervous mommy too so i totally understand the panic jump from the bed - Halo has won a bunch of awards for the designs and are endorsed by the SIDS alliance. Try it, i bet you will sleep better...if that pesky alarm stops going off!!!

Graham said...

Dixie- That Halo looks and sounds great! I looked it up though and it looks like they don't have a medium and Jack weighs too much for the sizes hey have.. :(

The Zipser Family said...

He looks so cute in his hat! He has grown so much in a month! I miss you both. Happy Anniversary tomorrow to you and Greg!

Aaron, Lacey, Audrey and Elle said...

Hey Nichole, what kind of baby monitor do you have? I've never heard of one's that detect movement but after reading your description...I want one! I love the new pictures of little Jack. He's too cute!

Yelda said...

love the updates! and his outfits are super cute! And i do wish you took a pic of greg and the snuggli on.. it would have been fun to see :o) sorry greg :)

mjilliancooper said...

Jack is so precious Nichole!!! I had seen pictures that Poco and Meredith put up... congratulations!!! I know you are a wonderful Mommy!

The Bass Family said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! I love the new pictures of Jack! I love you, Greg and Jack So very much!!

jess trent said...

You are too funny! Happy Anniversary to you both. Hopefully that monitor isn't still going off like crazy. 8 weeks is when "the cloud starting lifting" at our house with both of the boys and I started to feel somewhat sane again. I have you guys in my thoughts and prayers :)
Love you honey!