Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thank you Jess!









Jessica sent Jack a few items yesterday.. A miracle blanket (which we haven't tried out yet but she knows he has to be swaddled when he sleeps!), burp cloths, a snuggli, a picture of her boys (this was for me), and a binkie with an attached animal. Jack loves the binkie! He holds it and won't let it go. Too cute! I had to attach a picture! Thanks Jess! This put him straight to sleep. I was loving it too for that reason! Today Jack's Aunt Poco comes in town so he is really excited. He has been napping to get ready for the big visit! She gets here at 7:00pm. Jack whet to the doctor yesterday and he has gained more weight. He weighs 10 pounds now and 9 ounces. He has also grown 1/2 an inch. He got all good reports except the doctor thinks he has acid reflux. The more people I have talked to it seems many babies have had this but for all of you reading please say a prayer. I have been explaining to her (the Doctor) that when he eats he kicks, screams, cries, and arches his back when we go to burp him. She had said he was just greedy and likes his formula. (I am sure this is true- but it has gotten so much worse and you can tell he is in pain.) Not to mention he has started spitting up EVERY time he eats. He also just started this thing where he acts like he forgot how to suck when you first put the bottle in his mouth. I was explaining all this to her and luckily it was feeding time and she experienced a (very minor) episode. She said "Ohhh he has acid reflux!" She told me to change his formula, try feeding him less but more often, and prescribed him some medicine. We are scheduled for a return check up in 2 weeks. Anyway- Even if it is common please say a prayer for him because I hate to see the little guy in pain and there is a slight possibility to have long term effects from this on your digestive system and other areas. (This is what I have read online.) Usually babies that get this have under developed digestive systems and it usually is fine by 4-5 months. Definition is below: Reflux most commonly occurs when the ring of muscle that joins the stomach to the esophagus does not function properly. This muscle, the lower esophageal sphincter, or LES, usually opens very briefly for swallowing or vomiting, and then closes again. But in reflux cases, the muscle stays relaxed and food and stomach acids can flow back into the esophagus. Basically- his throat burns with acid. So please say a prayer for BABY JACK! Regardless of how common things are you still worry as a parent! Love you all! We will update with adventures with Poco.

14 comments:

kinsey said...

so sad that he's in pain...i will be praying for yall! can't wait until you get our package ;-)

Jaton said...

The miracle blanket is just that - A MIRACLE! We love that thing! It does sound like Baby Jack has reflux. The arching and screaming are definate signs. How much is he spitting up? If it is reflux it's usually about the amount that would fit on a dinner plate. Hopefully the problem will get resolved soon and he will get to feeling better. Zantac is supposed to work wonders for babies with reflux.

Erin said...

Poor Jack! Finn suffered with the same thing, and it as so difficult. Once we started taking Prilosec then Prevacid and switched to Nutramigen, things got much better! Take heart...it will get better. How lucky little Jack is to have a Mommy that cares so much. :-) Also, Finn is fine now. He was back to regular formula and no medicine by about 6 months.

Erin

Graham said...

Jaton- Yes- He spits up about that amount. He was given Axid. Do you know anything about that?

Erin- What about you? I am SO worried!!!! He doesn't seem any better but it has only been a few days. I just don't want it to g et worse.

Yelda said...

Nichole! the Binkie is sooo cute, and its unbelievable how much Jack looks like Greg, and his expression in that one pic is like totally Greg! what color are his eyes? green or blue? love yelda

Yelda said...

I hope that he feels better! oxoxo

Graham said...

Yelda- Right now they are still blue but I think they will change.. Thank you for your sweet comment. Miss you!

Kinsey- Thank you for the prayers, you didn't need to send any packages. We look forward to seeing you soon :)

Erin said...

First of all, stop reading the Internet. It is only going to make you crazy!! This is what I know. There are essentially 2 types of medications for reflux (peds and adults) - histamine-2 (H2) blockers like Axid and proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) like Prilosec or Prevacid. Simply put - the PPIs are stronger. Finn was put on those first with no discussion of the H2 blockers. The medicine was very beneficial. However, a more important component was the formula. We went from milk-based to soy-based to Nutramigen. If the formula is part of the problem, switching is helpful, but it can take almost a week for the other to get out of his system so you will have to be patient.

Bottom-line: it does hurt them, but you are doing everything you can. It can be a slow process and rest-assured that it will get better and you being there to hold and comfort helps, too. I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this. Kale always says that this stuff is what makes you a parent. Playing and holding is the easy part. I will say a prayer for you and Jack now.

Let me know if you have other questions or specific concerns. I guess this is where my pharmacy degree comes in. ;-)

Jaton said...

Thanks! I don't know anything about Axid. I'm sorry! From people I have talked to, Zantac seems to be what helped their babies. If Axid doesn't seem to be working after about a week or so, I would talk to your ped about trying something different. I know it's hard to see him hurting, but remember that you are doing everything you can to help him!

Erin said...

Well, it is difficult to say. When the issue came up with Finn, it was not clear if it was reflux or a milk allergy (which is also very common in babies). The Nutramigen was for the milk allergy. It turned out that he seemed to have issues with both as we challenged each in the weeks to come once we got him under control. The Similac Sensitive RS is purely to help with the spit-up, but it is milk-based so it would not help with a possible allergy. Did your pediatrician discuss the allergy possibility with you?

Anne said...

I am so sorry that Jack is in pain. I know how hard it is to watch your little one be upset. Grayson had a milk allergy/protein allergy and he used to act the way Jack does. The doctor put him on a formula called Neocate and it has made all the difference in the world. He still spits up and needs to be held upright for 10 minutes after he eats, but other than that he is not screaming in pain anymore. I hope that the medicine starts working quickly for Jack and you can get some rest.

McCall said...

Drew had reflux also...he was put on Axid as well but I didn't see much difference until we moved his formula to Enfamil AR...it helped quite a bit. The only problem was finding the right bottle b/c AR is a thicker formula so you have to go up in nipple sizes and then sometimes they're too big. We had to try several bottles. You are doing amazing!!

Graham said...

Thanks Anne and McCall!

I think I am going to talk to his Doctor next week about changing formulas. I appreciate all the advice I can get!

Graham said...

Thanks Anne and McCall!

I think I am going to talk to his Doctor next week about changing formulas. I appreciate all the advice I can get!