Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Class

Last night we attended our first night of Childbirth Class... It was very uneventful to say the least.. Hopefully it will get a little more interesting.. We have 4 more classes that are all 2 hours each. They are the next 4 Tuesdays from 7-9. We signed up for this class just to learn a little more and feel more prepared about the process. In the first class we learned when to go to the hospital and when not to go to the hospital.. The instructor was very nice but it just felt like a long night! We were the only ones in there who appeared to come straight from work so maybe that is why we were tired. We were given a quiz when we got there about anatomy and terms used in labor. Immediately it became a contest to Greg of who could answer the question right first between him and I. He did pretty good but definitely wanted to take credit for my answers too. Anyway- I wanted to let you all know about something that made it all worth it. So the last 25 minutes of this class they had us lay our blanket on the floor and gather our pillows we were told to bring. Just imagine Greg and I even walking into the hospital with our blanket and pillows... Even that was an awkward site.. :) Anyway- So the teacher mentions that she wants to get us used to a pleasant place to prepare us (meaning obviously the girls) for when we go into labor and teaching us to focus on that "peaceful place" that we can go to with our minds... Blah blah blah... I am thinking "Seriously I do not have time to daydream I left work early with work unfinished and have not even been home yet and have a million things to do but OK, I will close my eyes and pretend to play along"... Then she asks us to get comfortable and lay back on our pillows and if we need the support of our spouse to get "comfy" so she can take us to that peaceful place by describing a beach and have ourselves lay back and imagine we are there... I am in high heels so I am trying to get situated on the floor and turn to my right and see the couples there all in their positions and ready with eyes closed. Each female is sitting either in front of the male and leaning back on him for support with her eyes closed while he is comforting her or each female is laying in his lap ready to hear about the trip to the beach.. I am trying to get myself onto the blanket that Greg is comfortably sitting on and taking up the majority of the room as I am half on the floor, and see the couples to my left "cuddly" as well and prepared with eyes closed and husbands behind them supporting them in their "pretend pain" ready to help them envision this lovely beach experience. I look at Greg to lean into him and assume the position and I am not exaggerating-when I tell you that he is sprawled out comfortably laying flat on his back with his head on one pillow arms crossed resting on his stomach with his eyes closed and a peaceful look on his face imagining this beach trip. I leaned in and told him to look around the room and all the husbands who are not laying down but allowing their partner to do this, and then reminded him that I would be the one in labor.. He was a little embarrassed and scooted over to allow some room for me as I assumed the position to go to my peaceful place... It was too funny I just laughed to myself... I really don't think I can do the story justice but it was a picture moment. He really thought we were focusing on both of us here. :) The other thing we learned was to time our normal breathing patterns and the importance of taking in deep breaths to give the "baby and mommy" much needed oxygen. Blah blah blah- This was not the part where we learn the specialized breathing but literally just the importance of normal breathing. Anyway- Greg was sure to tell me numerous times as he evaluated his own breathing patterns and compared them to mine that I do not know how to take deep breaths and this is something I need to work on. I almost smacked him after the third time he tried to teach me to inhale normal. Just because I don't make a loud noise like he does I apparently don't breathe up to his standards. He knows everything in case you are wondering. He told me there was no need for doctors he could deliver the baby on his own.. :) Yes- He was being humorous on this statement. Anyway- We had a funny night. I will keep you posted. The class should progress as the weeks move on. I hope you enjoyed the story! :) More adventures to come!

5 comments:

kinsey said...

i'm laughing so hard!!! i LOVED that story...and i'm passing the computer over to scott for him to read too. he's already giggling just knowing there is a "story of greg from childbirth class!" ha!

kinsey said...

ok, i just had to read it out loud to scott and i couldn't even read it out loud because i was laughing so hard. we are both dying. HILARIOUS!

Anonymous said...

You'll see how well he starts breathing when you go into labor. Everything you will have learned will go out the window at that point, because its just nothing but go time for baby arrival.

The Milams said...

Loved this story!!! We have a really funny story from childbirth class, too. We still laugh about it. We were actually dropouts...Brandon was over it after the whole "birthing" video

Yelda said...

Nichole this was very very very funny and I could totally picture both you and greg, and your face full of expression, no need for words!! haha Keep posting love yelda